McRitchie-Hollis Museum

Over the years we have sought to bring educational and interactive programming to the community and we ask that you join with us in supporting this endeavor. We believe that museums can be exciting places for persons of every age and background. NCHS continues to develop ever-changing exhibits telling the story of Newnan and Coweta County and the West Georgia Region at our McRitchie-Hollis Museum and the Historic Newnan Train Depot. Stayed tuned for more on programs and events, and feel free to contact us at executivedirector@newnancowetahistoricalsociety.com or write to Newnan-Coweta Historical Society, P.O. Box 1001, Newnan, GA 30264.

And keep up with events on our Facebook page!

Consider helping us continue our mission through membership via our online gift shop or a tax-deductible donation.


McRitchie-Hollis is on the Newnan Presbyterian Preschool Christmas tour!

Here is a sneak peek at decorations and some of the items for the NCHS Festival of Trees silent auction fundraiser this weekend. Visitors will also enjoy the current show “Spectrum” featuring the art of Newnan painter Tiffany Thomas.

McRitchie-Hollis Museum is a stop on the Saturday, Dec. 3 Christmas Tour of Homes organized this year by Newnan Presbyterian Church Preschool. Tickets are available at the preschool beside the church at Greenville Street and Salbide Ave. Or check their web page at www.nppk.org





Christmas Tour of Homes
December 3,2016
Hosted by Newnan Presbyterian Preschool and Kindergarten

14441013_1514293271930736_8542830328485676673_nThere will be a continuous shuttle that runs all evening along the tour route. Tickets can be purchased online at www.nppk.org or at Newnan Presbyterian Preschool and Kindergarten. They will also be available at locations #1 and #2 the day of the event.

“Newnan Presbyterian Preschool and Kindergarten is proud to sponsor the Christmas Tour of Homes.
Tickets are available at Newnan Presbyterian Preschool Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. or click 
Buy Now on the preschool web site www.nppk.org to purchase tickets online and pick up 
at Will Call starting Nov. 1. Tickets are 
$20 in advance/$25 at the door. The tour will feature
8 different locations including 5 homes in the the 
Historic College-Temple Neighborhood of Newnan.
A continuous shuttle will run all evening.”

For those that purchase tickets in advance, tour organizers recommend starting in the middle or the end of the tour to keep from congestion at the first few locations. You can pick up the shuttle along the route to take you to the locations that have a few blocks of separation. The shuttle is complimentary. A map will be in the brochure.

Here are details about the tour and the featured homes and stops, including McRitchie-Hollis Museum:

McRitchie-Hollis Museum, 74 Jackson St., will be among the stops for the Newnan Presbyterian Preschool Christmas Tour of Homes Dec. 3 from 4:30 to 9:30 p.m. The museum, which serves as headquarters for Newnan-Coweta Historical Society, opened to the public in 2013 after extensive renovations to bring the structure back to an appearance that more closely reflected the era in which it was built, in 1937. It was originally the home of Mildred Arnall Peniston and Ellis Peniston. Mr. Peniston was president of Arnall Mills in Sargent. The museum features rotating exhibits reflecting the history and cultural heritage of Newnan and Coweta County. Currently upstairs is a selection of images from the Coweta County Remembered feature produced in cooperation with The Newnan Times-Hearld that ran once or twice a week for some three decades.
During the Tour of Homes, beautiful holiday decorations including trees, wreaths and a Nativity scene will be available for silent auction to benefit the NCHS scholarship program.

Proceeds from the tour tickets will go toward the Rudean King Memorial Playground as well as to upgrade the church preschool. A portion of the proceeds will help the Can’t Never Could Foundation, a non-profit established by Newnan resident Rob Estes to assist those facing personal or medical battles.

Tickets are $20 in advance, online at www.nppk.org or for $25 the day of the event. Stops include Newnan Presbyterian Church, 38 Greenville St. (tickets may be purchased at this location and refreshments will be provided); Green Home, 32 W. Washington St.; Lyles Labyrinth, 24 College St.; Strain Home, 52 College St.; Kookogey Home, 38 Temple Ave., Achee Home, 43 Temple Ave.; Malloy Home, 76 Temple Ave.; and McRitchie-Hollis. Details: call Newnan Presbyterian Preschool and Kindergarten, 770-253-5018 or go to www.nppk.org.


More Planned/Upcoming (Subject to Change):
  • December - “The Founder,” a mini-exhibit celebrating the opening of the movie about the McDonald’s founder filmed partially in Newnan., at the McRitchie-Hollis Museum. Film opening has been moved from August to December.
  • December 4 – Newnan-Coweta Historical Society Member Christmas Party and our new “Festival of Trees” silent auction event to benefit the NCHS scholarship program are Sunday evening, Dec. 4, 5-7:30 p.m. Members — look for your invitations mailed in early November.

For more information stop by McRitchie-Hollis at 74 Jackson Street or call us at 770-251-0207. We keep our web site here at www.newnancowetahistoricalsociety updated, as well as regular posts on our Facebook page.


McRitchie Hollis Museum, the new home base for Newnan-Coweta Historical Society, is a 1937 home restored to elegance of the era. The museum has constantly-changing exhibitions of decorative arts and telling stories related to the history of Newnan and Coweta County and the West Georgia Region.
Entry/tours –  $5 general admission or $2 for students and senior citizens. Hours are Tuesday-Saturday, 10-noon and 1-3. The museum is located just north of downtown Newnan at 74 Jackson St., beside the new University of West Georgia – Newnan campus. There is plenty of parking in the lot behind the museum, with the driveway entrance off Clark Street.
Our Civil War collection is housed at the Historic Newnan Train Depot, 60 E. Broad St., which is rented for events and is open for tours by appointment. See artifacts, a series of paintings by Newnan artist Martin Pate depicting events surrounding the Battle of Brown’s Mill which took place south of Newnan, as well as information on Newnan and Coweta County’s development from pioneer days to the present. For details on rentals or tours, call 770-251-0207.