History

 Originally constructed as a freight and passenger depot for the Atlanta & West Point Railroad in the 1850s, the Depot was the site of an encounter between Federal and Confederate forces in July 1864.

As a raiding party of Federal troops approached from the east, they were surprised at the
depot by Confederate troops that had been detained by rail damage north of Newnan at Palmetto. A brief skirmish ensued, followed by a two day pitched battle south of Newnan at Brown’s Mill on Corinth Road, which ended in a victory for the Confederates.


After passenger and freight train service was discontinued in the 1950s, the depot briefly served as a seed store before the building fell into disrepair. Subsequently, the passenger section and freight platform were torn down. In the mid-1990s, the remaining portion of the building was donated to the Newnan-Coweta Historical Society. In 2000, with renewed interest in the Battle of Brown’s Mill, a plan was formulated to commemorate the Corinth Road site and use the depot as an educational facility. The Society, with the support and efforts of local Representative Lynn Smith, received a grant from the Governor’s Office to restore the building and prepare exhibits to interpret the famous local battle.

The Society has plans to obtain funds to rebuild the passenger section of the building. This space will provide additional exhibition space and meeting areas.

Five paintings by local artist Martin Pate, depicting the hospital site at the courthouse, the arrival of Federal troops at the depot, a battle scene at Brown’s Mill, and the headquarters of Confederate General Joseph Wheeler, make up the exhibit. New exhibits are planned in the near future.

In addition to the paintings, the exhibit contains other artifacts related to the Battle at Brown’s Mill. Also, display panels provide a brief overview of the history of Newnan and Coweta County throughout the 20th century.